No one enjoys their food more than the Greeks do, but many Americans shy away from travels here because the food seems too exotic. The good news is Greek cuisine is never that spicy, the seasonings and ingredients are quite familiar and, more importantly, it’s delicious.
So grab a seat at the table and order up. Here is a list of common Greek entrees and their descriptions:
- Psito - Leg of lamb with roasted potatoes
- Pidakia - Grilled ribs
- Fricasse - Stew with spinach, lemon, eggs and olive oil
- Me Saltsa - Chicken in red sauce
- Tis Skaras - Grilled chicken
- Souvlas - Seasoned shish kabob
- Psito -- Roasted chicken with potatoes
- Psarosoupa - Fish soup with potatoes, lemon and an egg base
- Sardeles -- Sardines, look for the word pastes which means they were caught, salted and served that day
- Kalamarikia -- Fried squid
- Octopodi -- Octopus served grilled or boiled
- Midia -- Mussels served steamed in wine sauce
- Garides -- Shrimp
- Xifia -- Swordfish, typically served grilled or souvlaki
- Astako -- Lobster Soupia -- Cuttle fish
- Bakaliaro -- Fried cod served with garlic sauce
- Brizoles -- Steak
- Khirini -- Pork
- Loukanika -- Sausage
So order up some fried cheese or a caper salad. Top off your meal with sadziki yogurt sauce or some dolmades stuffed grape leaves. Whatever lands on the table is bound to be a meal you won’t soon forget.
Savor amazing dishes in Greece with YMT Vacations
You can sample all the flavors of Greece on YMT Vacations’ Greece & Her Islands Tour or Gems of the Adriatic Cruise. These tours will take you from Mykonos and Santorini. And if you’re feeling up to it, why not add on a Greek vacation extension for one spectacular combo tour?
To make your plans, call your travel consultant or YMT Vacations at 1-888-756-9072.